Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Beginning of Twitter Trends

 Twitter is an online social networking service and microblogging service that was launched in 2006. It has since skyrocketed and attracts more then 300 million users. Just like many other users Twitter has become a second home to me. I am constantly online tweeting, retweeting and following trends. I would say that I spend about 99% of my online time using Twitter. I love Twitter so much that it was even my Halloween costume in 2011.
To me Twitter is so much more than a social media site, it is an outlet for breaking news, a chance to voice your opinion and connect with people who have interesting things to say. One of my favourite things to do on Twitter is to follow trends. To be more specific Wikipedia states that a trend is: "a word, phrase or topic that is tagged at a greater rate than other tags is said to be a trending topic. Trending topics become popular either through a concerted effort by users or because of an event that prompts people to talk about one specific topic".

The most frustrating thing about Twitter is seeing something trending, but having no idea what the subject matter pertains too. Not everything can be summarized in 140 characters, which is the maximum length of a tweet. So – this blog will not only clarify and show different trends on Twitter, but I will also give my own personal thoughts on the subject matter.

As a student, people do not always take me seriously or listen to what I have to say, but I have thoughts and ideas that I want to share with the world. I want to educate people on things happening around the world and give them an outlet to share their opinions and thoughts. So if you're ready, come along for the ride and follow trends on Twitter with me!


2 comments:

  1. Very well written Sam! I'll be taking a look on here when I have no idea what the trending topics mean :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy you choose to include the twitter costume picture! I wish you had a close up so we could see the tweets you were covered in. But great first post! I also have a request for a trending topic; Chuck and Blair! They trend EVERY Monday.

    ReplyDelete