Monday, February 13, 2012

RIP Whitney Houston

A picture from Whitney Houston's album "I Look To You"

On Saturday I came across something that I thought I would never see; 9/10 trends on Twitter were regarding the late Whitney Houston. There were over 2.5 million tweets within an hour of Houston’s death and by 24 hours there were 35 million tweets, making it the most-tweeted event in Twitter history.

The 48 year-old pop star was found dead in her hotel room on Saturday, only a few hours before she was supposed to go to the pre-Grammy gala. There has been no official determination of death, although any information regarding the autopsy is not being released to the public. However, there were no signs of foul play Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter stated, but he declined to say anything about the hotel room’s condition. 

I want this blog post to be a reminder of the great things that Whitney Houston has accomplished over her lifetime. Not only did she inspire a generation of people, but she made unforgettable music. She will always be remembered for her voice and career, but most importantly she will remain a legend within the music community and around the world.

This is my favourite Whitney Houston music video. I can remember bouncing around my living room in the early 90's dancing to this song. 


You should also check out the tribute to Whitney Houston performed at the 54th Grammy Awards by Jennifer Hudson

4 comments:

  1. I really like the twitter facts at the start of the post. I would have had no idea that it was the most tweeted event in the history of Twitter. Keep up the solid work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love her and I love that song! Awesome choice Sam, I can't believe 35 million tweets in 24 hours. That just goes to show how amazingly talented and loved she was <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If I wake up in World War III
    I see destruction and poverty
    And I feel like I want to go home
    It's okay if you're coming with me"

    Lovely words from a lovely woman

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was so sad when I heard that Whitney died, especially because she was only 48 years old. The number of tweets about Whitney's death is incredible, she will certainly be talked about in the media for a long time. Great song choice!

    ReplyDelete